Saturday, July 24, 2010

Dog Socialization


Wow, it's been so long since I posted here! I didn't think keeping a blog going would be so difficult. Little Shannon is 4 years old now, the socialization problem still continues. I was hoping as she got older she would be more accepting of people but to my disappointment that has not happened. In fact it has gotten worse. I don't understand why she doesn't get it, she's been exposed to people since she was a puppy, people have treated her nicely, but she still feels threatened by them.

I keep hearing that you need to socialize puppies from an early age, get them used to being around people if they are to grow into well adjusted dogs. Well sometimes it just does not work. I have come to the conclusion that socialization will keep a friendly, easy going dog from becoming anti-social but a very timid shy puppy will continue to have behavioral problems as an adult dog.

That being said, I haven't given up on my Little Shannon, I still hope that one day she will at least come to tolerate people and keep her yapper shut.

No comments: